Sacred Heart Chapel in Weisten

The village of Weisten, which belongs to the municipality of Burg-Reuland but to the parish of Neundorf-Crombach, owes its chapel to the determination of its inhabitants. It was demanded, built and paid for by the population at the end of the 19th century. It is a simple, lovingly decorated church. The year 1885 is inscribed above the portal, and a cross hangs on a white wall in the style of folk art.

The chapel is dedicated to the heart of Jesus, whose image adorns the altar together with St. Medardus. The cult of this miraculous bishop from Gallo-Franconian nobility was widespread in the Middle Ages, especially among farmers and winegrowers. His feast day on June 8 was considered to be a day of lot for the weather. Statues of the Virgin Mary with child crushing a snake and of St. Pancratius can be found on the side walls. A detail: There is also a small stove in the chapel, a reminder of the harsh Eifel winters. The 100th anniversary of the chapel was celebrated in Weisten in 1984.

Source: Churches and chapels in East Belgium by Freddy Derwahl and Johannes Weber


The so-called Weistervenn is a wetland bordered to the south by the Brauvenn, to the west by the village of Commanster (old border between Prussia and Belgium), to the north by Kapellen and to the east by the Fakenweg and Grossrost village of Weisten. It consists of state and communal forests and some private parcels.

Near the headwaters of the Weister brook – at Hof Kretels – stand the largest and thickest Douglas firs in Belgium. They have a length of up to 50 meters, a capacity of up to 17 cubic meters each and have been standing there for about 115 years.

For the construction of the school in Braunlauf around 1905, part of the land was sold to private individuals.

The wasteland belonging to the village of Weisten was provided with drainage in 1911 under the direction of Cornelius Stump and the cooperation of many Walloon and local people. Today it is cultivated by local people as leased land.

It is worth mentioning that on the way from the hunting lodge towards Commanster there is an “acid rain station”.