St. John the Baptist Church in Lengeler
The first church in Lengeler, dating back to the 17th-18th century, was replaced by a new building in 1936. The plans were drawn up by St. Vitus architect Wilhelm Schulzen, and the stones were quarried in Lengeler. The date is engraved on a granite stone in the choir. There are three or four arched windows on the walls of the differently sized nave.
The baroque altar with an oil painting of the baptism of Christ comes from the old church, as St. John the Baptist is also the patron saint of the new church. The secondary patron saint is St. Anthony the Hermit, who is depicted on a wooden figure. The year 1765 of the former chapel was inserted in the archway of the outer door of the sacristy. In the upper part of the altar there is a small picture of the crucifixion as well as statues of St. Cornelius and St. Dionysius, which were already mentioned in a visitation report in 1728.
An altar with the Sorrowful Mother was also mentioned in 1787. This Pietà was created two centuries later in the 15th century style and placed in the side altar. In 1987 it was replaced by a statue of the Comforter of the Afflicted made in South Tyrol and is now on a granite plinth at the staircase to the gallery.
Source: Churches and chapels in East Belgium by Freddy Derwahl and Johannes Weber
The Mother of God Chapel
The chapel was built in 1998 and 1999 by the villagers themselves. The solemn inauguration by Reverend Dean BACKES, Pastor LENZ and Pastor HUEBERGS took place on June 20, 1999. The picturesque location of the chapel, on a light hill, under a more than 100-year-old oak tree and next to a large wooden cross resting on a rock, invites you to visit. Here visitors will find a place of peace where they can spend a few moments of reflection with themselves and the Mother of God.
former train station
Lengeler was the last railroad station before the Luxembourg border.
Here you can see the stationmaster’s cottage, which has been lovingly renovated and furnished.