Kirche St. Johannes der Täufer in Maldingen
Die 1926 durch den damaligen Lütticher Weihbischof Kerkhofs eingeweihte Kirche von Maldingen ist nach einem Entwurf des Architekten Cunibert aus Malmedy gebaut worden. Das heutige Gotteshaus befindet sich an Stelle einer St. Johannes gewidmeten Kapelle, die 1688 im Pfarrarchiv von Aldringen erstmals erwähnt und 1776 durch einen Neubau ersetzt wurde. Das aus Bruchstein errichtete Gebäude besteht aus drei Schiffen, die unter einem Dach vereint sind. Der 50 Meter hohe Turm ist mit einem runden, gestuften Helmdach abgeschlossen. Diese Bauweise ist für Cunibert typisch, auch die von ihm erbaute Kirche von Medell hat einen Zwiebelturm.
Im Innern der Kirche beeindrucken das Sterngewölbe und die Glasrosette. Die Altäre, die Kommunionbank und das Weihwasserbecken sind neo-romanischen Stils und aus schwarzem und weiß-braunem Marmor gefertigt.
Auf der Rückwand unter der Orgel ist eine Nische aus einem Barockaltar mit einer Statue des Evangelisten Matthäus, diese stammt wahrscheinlich aus der alten Kapelle. Auf dem rechten Beichtstuhl steht ein Engel mit Posaune, er war Teil einer Kanzel, die sich in der Kirche des luxemburgischen Grenzortes Weiswampach befand.
Bron: Kerken en kapellen in Oost-België door Freddy Derwahl en Johannes Weber
The old village watering place
Also the spring must have been very productive. A witness of it is the still quite well preserved trough in “Rechter Blaustein”. The trough served not only as a watering place for domestic animals, but also as a washing place for the nearby inhabitants. However, after the village was connected to the municipal water supply system in 1968, the trough lost its purpose, fell into oblivion and became … a wild garbage dump.
Garbage and wild plants overgrew the trough and the entire area.
In 2003, however, a couple of determined men went into action and removed all the garbage by hand.
The financial support was also found to remove the upper layer of soil by machine.
A drainage system was installed to drain the area. In 2008, after a ” VoE Village Community ” had been created, some professionals, in collaboration with the “Fondation Rurale de Wallonie” drew up a plan to revive the watering place.
With subsidies from both the Walloon Region and the High Fens – Eifel Nature Park and the active support of the community, the entire site was restored to its current state.
Volunteers in the village laid the access and a walkway.
The main goal, however, was to keep the watering place as close to nature as possible, so that fauna and flora can flourish. The school community took on a sponsorship of this small heritage site by regularly participating in its maintenance, installing and cleaning nesting boxes…. “May this spot give peace to the visitor and bring the beauty of nature a little closer”.
Many thanks to Mr. Jakob THOMMESSEN from Maldingen for the aforementioned text as well as the pictures.
The excavations that have taken place here since 1825 have brought to light several finds: In addition to sherds, bones and ashes, a slate roof of 3 square feet, remains of a clay vessel, parts of a harness covered with brown lacquer and a large iron container were found. Also discovered in the center was a piece of agate, an urn with sherds, and the tip of a spear in a large stone container. One local historian believed that the actual treasure of the Hochtumsknopf, namely a Roman general in golden armor, had not yet been found, as it might be below the ground level where the mound had been piled. Others saw in the mound a Roman tomb, namely that of the Roman legate Cotta, who, together with his comrade-in-arms Sabinus, had been lured into a trap and slain by Ambiorix, the Eburone chieftain. While Cotta was buried here, the grave of Sabinus is said to be on the Steinemann (near Espeler).
This interpretation, however, has to be relegated to the realm of legend, since in the area of the Steinemann and also at the Hochtumsknopf such precious ancient finds have never been made.
However, later excavations by unknown amateur archaeologists may have taken place here, as the trenches and furrows on the hill show; however, nothing is known about the results. Today the mound is inhabited by foxes – the only ones who can probably give information about the contents of the mound.
(Text by Mr. KLAUSER Klaus-Dieter)