Ouren
Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul in Ouren
Das „Peterskirchen” genannte Gotteshaus besticht äußerlich durch eine geschweifte Kuppelhaube über dem oktogonalen Chor. Diesem Bau aus der Mitte des 18. Jahrhunderts steht der schwere Westturm gegenüber, dessen Kern offenbar romanischen Ursprungs ist. Dem rundbogigen Eingang ist eine niedrige Halle mit einem Glasfenster vorverlegt. Es taucht die Kirche mit ihren romanischen Spuren und Rokoko-Ornamenten in ein zeitgenössisches Licht ohne in Disharmonie zum Innern zu stehen.
Die den beiden Apostelfürsten geweihte Kirche besticht durch ihre Lage über dem Ourtal. Wegen der strengen Herbst- und Winterstürme wurde auf Glasfenster an der Nordseite verzichtet. Der besondere Reiz dieser am Waldrand gelegenen weißen Kirche hat wohl immer wieder Diebe und Frevler angezogen, die ein Kreuz mit Putten, Engels- und Heiligenfiguren raubten. Der aus Ouren stammende Br. Josef Belling aus der Benediktinerabtei Maria Laach hat dazu einen großen Engel sowie die Nachgestaltungen außen über der Türe und der Sakristei geschaffen. Ein Hochgrab in der Kirche mit der liegenden Darstellung eines Ritters von Ouren ist seit der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts verschwunden. Ebenfalls vermisst werden die zahlreichen Grabsteine, die den Boden des Chores bedeckten.
Das Bildnis des Josephaltars stammt aus der ehemaligen Schlosskapelle der im 12. Jahrhundert in Urkunden der Abtei Prüm sowie aus Trier erwähnten Herren von Ouren. Es wurde bei der Übertragung in die Dorfkirche angepasst und verschiedentlich, gut meinend, mit der Schule von Peter Paul Rubens in Verbindung gebracht.
Die Muschelornamente zweier Weihwassersteine des 18. Jahrhunderts ähneln denen in der Kirche in Weweler. Wappensteine in der Westmauer erinnern an Jahrgedächtnisse derer von Ouren aus dem 17. Jahrhundert. Einen besondereren Platz auf dem Friedhof nimmt das Kreuz und der Grabstein mit apokalyptischem Engel des Pfarrers Carl-Josef Velden ein, der weit über Ouren hinaus als geistlicher Ratgeber in hohem Ansehen stand.
Source : Eglises et chapelles dans les Cantons de l'Est par Freddy Derwahl et Johannes Weber

THERE ONCE WAS... THE CASTLE OF THE LORDS OF OUREN
This spot was probably already inhabited in pre-Roman times. However, it experienced its golden age in the Middle Ages under the Lords of Ouren. They came from one of the most noble and important families of the Eifel. In their coat of arms they had an anchor cross.
The family of the Lords of Ouren is mentioned for the first time in 893, but the name appears more frequently only in the 11th century. Probably a fortress stood there already at that time, but certainly in the 12th century. Written sources prove the influence of the Lords of Ouren as far as Luxembourg. Thus, there are sources that suggest that the “Buerg Fiels” (Larochette in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg) was in the possession of the Lords of Ouren in the 12th century.
Over the centuries, the castle changed its owners frequently. It was rebuilt twice after destructions: in 1535 and in 1615. The reconstructions of these periods, during which the castle was transformed into a chateau, are partly archaeologically provable.
There are still traces of a ruling family from Ouren from the 17th century: the coat of arms stones of the couple von Giltingen/von Tavigny can be seen in St. Peter’s Church in Ouren. They show the year 1625. The last known lord of the castle was Karl August von Dobbelstein in the late 18th century.
At the beginning of the 19th century, several buildings were still standing, but the castle itself was already uninhabited. In 1845 and 1846 its remains were sold by public auction after it had been destroyed by French revolutionary troops in 1794. Citizens from villages all over the region bought at auction mantelpieces, floor tiles and such. Parts of the chateau were apparently also used in houses in the immediate surroundings. As a result, there is hardly anything left of the once imposing manor today.

Rittersprung
Once upon a time there was a robber baron who fell in love with the wife of the knight of Ouren. The robber baron thus hatched a plan by which he could win the pretty knight’s wife for himself. His decision was made: the mistress in Ouren is yours – and an escape plan has been drawn up. In order to prevent a possible pursuit, the horse was re-shod, whereby the horseshoes, in order to mislead the pursuers, were put on in the wrong direction so that the remaining track led in exactly the opposite direction.

The Europe Monument
In the southern foothills of the eastern cantons, as well as the municipality of Burg-Reuland, one kilometer below the village of Ouren, the hiker comes across the European monument where the Ribbach and Our flow together. The sovereign territories of Germany, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and Belgium meet at this triangle. The border runs right through the Our and the Ribbach.
On the occasion of the General Assembly of the Tourist Association in 1967, Georg WAGNER, President of the Association of the Eifel and Ardennes, Member of Parliament and President of the Chamber in Luxembourg, suggested the establishment of a European monument in this triangle.
In 1972 the area was purchased by the municipalities of Arzfeld / BRD, Heinerscheid / LUX and Burg-Reuland and notarized. 5 impressive megalites were set up in a park that was inaugurated on October 22, 1977, symbolizing the countries that were then part of the European Community.
The Four stones of the countries come from France, Germany, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and Belgium.